Your experiences on eurovelo6

Hello!
I did a cycling tour of the Loire from Nantes to Orléans in August 2008 with my cousin (we're both 24 years old) and we loved it. And so we've been inspired to do more, wither to the source of the Loire, or perhaps further - and do the Eurovélo 6.
We don't know when we'll do this project yet (depends on work, holidays, etc.), but we really want to. (And we have nothing against teaming up with other adventurers!)
I just wanted to hear about other peoples' experiences. I also wanted to know what you did, after you arrived in Constanta. How did you get back? Did you take the train? Fly? Turn your bikes around and go back the way you came?
Thanks for your answers!

Comments

• Generally speaking, the route profile:
    source of the Danube - Black Sea is a descent, and therefore a little bit easier.
    There are no cycle paths in Romania, so you need to take care, even though traffic is light. (watch out for dangerous drivers and unreliable cars!)
    I didn't go to Constanta, personally. I opted for Tulcea to get to Sulina. It's less touristy and more authentic.
    If you don't want it to be a hard slog, you really need to get the "Donauradweg" guides (available in English or German) which set out the entire route.
    About the return - the Black Sea - Bucharest route is fairly straightforward. They'll tell you that bikes are not permitted when you buy your tickets in stations, but ignore that. In the train, however, you are under the dictatorship of the controller. You'll need to firmly discuss the amount of the baksheesh!
    With Bucharest - Vienna, on the other hand, it's the same thing but you'll need to point out that you have bikes with you.
    To cross Austria, you'll need one ticket for yourself and another for your bike. The same goes for reservations.
    Swiss and Austrian trains do have bike compartments, but they can't hold many bikes so you will have to reserve your space!
  • We are planning to do the route in 2012 finishing in June around the 23rd June. You can fly back from Constanta with Ryanir but the train might be the best way...as per the Eurovelo policy. Valerie Penny
  • I would prefer train but where do I start to book and are bikes welcome?
    thanks for your reply
    Dave
  • Soy Argentino y estoy planeando hacer la euro velo hasta el Rin en junio de 2013. Alguien tiene una guia en español? Please o s'il vous plaît.Je ne pas le français

Je suis argentine et je prévois de faire le voile d'euros pour le Rhin en Juin 2013. Quelqu'un at-il un guide en espagnol? S'il vous plaît plaît.Je ou s'il vous Ne Pas le français
    Mario
  • Barnstaple to Vienna - Suggested Route

For cyclists from the UK wanting to join Eurovelo route 6 I recommend the Devon coast to coast route to Plymouth. Take the ferry crossing to Roscoff and then cycle to Morlaix before heading south to Huelgoat and joining the Brest/ Nantes ship canal in the region of Carhaix.
    The canal towpath can be a little 'rugged', but it improves markedly after Josselin and is a joy to cycle along, so peaceful and unspoiled. The Eurovelo route officially begins at St.Nazaire, however the bridge across the River Loire is best avoided. The route along the Loire passing through or close to Angers, Chinon, Saumur, Blois, Orleons and then on to Nevers is generally well marked, but not as a 'Eurovelo' route. Once you join the canal du centre and head north through Dole and to Burgundy the route is well signed as 'EV route 6', very impressive. Basel in Switzerland lies on the route and is the start of your journey alone the Rhine, the Swiss in this part of the world seem to be cycle crazy, but the route to Schaffhausen can be frustrating as you weave through housing estates, along tiny tracks hugging the river or along busy roads. The Rhine Falls at Schaffhausen are magnificent as is Lake Constance further along and both are worth lingering in before you leave canals and rivers behind you and cross the 'Schwabische Alb' to the start of your journey along the Danube. The 500 kms to Passau are well marked and the route is even better maintained for what I term the 'Danube' expressway, namely the last 300 kms from Passau to Vienna. If anyone would like any more tips or guidance contact me via email - dpantonatgranitecottage@btinternet.com
  • Hi. Just wondered how long it took you to do Nantes to Orléans? Also did you camp and if so how easy was it find a pitch without booking in advance?

Thanks.